The main objective of this Protection of women from domestic violence act, 2005 is to make women live in violence free homes. This is an Act aims to provide more effective protection to women from violence of any kind occurring within the family. In other words this act is enabled to prevent violence in families and to provide a peaceful and secure physical and mental space wherein a woman would be in a position to take free and informed decisions.
Who can seek help under the Domestic Violence Act?
The women victims of domestic violence can seek help under the Domestic Violence Act.
How to file a complaint?
To file a complaint for domestic violence, one can
- Approach the police station and register the complaint, or
- File a complaint to a Protection Officer or Service Provider, or
- Directly approach the Magistrate.
Objectives of the Domestic Violence Act
The objectives of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 is to serve the following purposes:
- To identify and determine that every act of domestic violence is unlawful and punishable by law.
- To provide protection to victims of domestic violence in the cases such acts occur.
- To serve justice in a timely, cost-effective, and convenient manner to the aggrieved person.
- To prevent the commission of domestic violence and to take adequate steps if such violence occurs.
- To implement sufficient programmes and agendas for the victims of domestic violence and to guarantee the recovery of such victims.
- To create awareness among the people about domestic violence.
- To enforce harsh punishment and must hold the culprits accountable for committing such acts of violence.
- To lay down the law and govern it in accordance with the international standards for the prevention of domestic violence.
What are all the protections or help given under this act?
It provides appointment of Protection Officers and recognizes and involves nongovernmental organisations as service providers for providing assistance to the abused with respect to her medical examination, obtaining legal aid, safe shelter. Medical facilities, legal facilities, Counselling and Protection Orders are given to the applicant from designated Courts.
If any Grievances is there, then the applicant can contact the District Collector or District Social Welfare officer(district level) and for state level, the applicant can contact commissioner of social welfare department.