Ooty is one of the most beautiful hill station situated in Tamil Nadu. Ooty is officially called Ootacamund. Ooty is considered as the Queen of Hill stations as it welcomes you with mesmerising meadows, soothing environment, cool weather and a wide array of sightseeing places to visit and admire. The hill station also gives tourists an opportunity to indulge themselves in adventurous activities like trekking, hiking and rafting. With these interesting places to see, anyone can be sure of having a memorable Ooty tour.
Best Tourist Places in Ooty/ Top Tourist Places in Ooty
The hill station has much more to offer in terms of natural beauty, gardens, viewpoints, and historical sites, making it a perfect destination for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts. Here are some of the top tourist places to visit in Ooty:
1.Ooty Toy Train or Nilgiri Mountain Railway
2.Pykara Lake and Waterfalls
3.Ooty Rose Garden
4.Ooty Botanical Gardens
5.Karnataka Siri Horticulture Garden
8.Tea Museum and Chocolate Factory
12.Mudumalai National Park
13.Elk Hill Murugan Temple
16.Wenlock Downs Ooty
17.Mukurthi National Park
20.Gymkhana Golf Club
21.Kotagiri and Coonoor
22.Kamaraj sagar Dam
23.Needle Rock view point
24.Ooty Stone house
25.Upper Bhavani Lake
26.Toda Huts Ooty
- Ooty Toy Train: The Nilgiri Mountain Railway, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, connects Ooty with Mettupalayam. Enjoy a scenic train ride on the toy train, which passes through tunnels, bridges, and beautiful landscapes.
- Pykara Falls and Pykara Lake: Located around 20 kilometers from Ooty, Pykara offers a serene and scenic atmosphere. The Pykara Falls and Pykara Lake are major attractions, where you can enjoy boating and admire the cascading waterfalls.
- Rose Garden: Known as the largest rose garden in India, it houses thousands of varieties of roses. The garden is beautifully landscaped and provides a peaceful environment for visitors.
- Ooty Botanical Gardens: The Government Botanical Gardens is a well-maintained garden spread over 55 acres. It features a wide variety of trees, flowers, and plants, including a fossilized tree trunk believed to be over 20 million years old.
- Karnataka Siri Horticulture Garden in Ooty: It showcases a range of ornamental plants, including roses, dahlias, marigolds, and various other flowering plants. The garden provides a delightful visual experience with its colorful blooms and well-designed landscape.
- Sim’s Park: Situated in Coonoor, which is a short distance from Ooty, Sim’s Park is a well-maintained botanical garden. It features a wide variety of plants, flowers, and trees, including several rare species.
- Ooty Lake: This artificial lake is a major attraction in Ooty, offering boating facilities amidst scenic surroundings. It is an ideal spot for picnics and leisurely walks.
- Tea Museum and Chocolate Factory: Ooty is surrounded by lush tea plantations, and a visit to the tea museum is a must. You can witness the tea-making process, enjoy the stunning vistas, and even purchase fresh tea leaves.Ooty is also known for its homemade chocolates, and there are several chocolate factories and shops in the town where you can explore and indulge in delectable chocolates. Both the Tea Museum and Chocolate Factory provide an opportunity to learn about the local industries in Ooty and enjoy the flavors and aromas associated with tea and chocolates.
- Emerald Lake: Another beautiful lake in the vicinity of Ooty, Emerald Lake is known for its tranquil ambiance and scenic beauty. It is an ideal place for picnics and nature walks.
- Pine Forest: The Pine Forest is a popular spot for nature walks, picnics, and photography. Walking through the forest, you can enjoy the pleasant aroma of pine and the rustling sound of the breeze passing through the trees. The cool and refreshing air makes it a perfect escape from the city’s hustle and bustle.
- Doddabetta Peak: At an altitude of 2,637 meters, Doddabetta Peak is the highest peak in the Nilgiri Hills. It offers breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding valleys and is a popular spot for trekking and photography.
- Mudumalai National Park: Located near Ooty, Mudumalai National Park is a wildlife sanctuary known for its diverse flora and fauna. You can take a safari and spot animals like tigers, elephants, leopards, and various bird species.
- Elk Hill Murugan Temple: The temple is perched atop Elk Hill, which is approximately 3 kilometers away from the Ooty town center.The temple is situated amidst scenic surroundings and offers panoramic views of the surrounding hills and valleys. Apart from the spiritual aspect, the temple offers breathtaking views of the Ooty town and the surrounding landscapes. Many visitors enjoy the peaceful atmosphere and picturesque scenery from the temple premises.
- Cairn Hill: One of the highlights of Cairn Hill is the Cairn Hill Reserve Forest, which is home to a variety of flora and fauna. Nature enthusiasts can spot different bird species and occasionally catch glimpses of wildlife such as deer and monkeys. The viewpoint offers panoramic views of the Ooty town, tea estates, and the distant Nilgiri hills. It’s recommended to visit during the early morning or evening hours to witness breathtaking sunrises or sunsets, painting the sky with vibrant colors. Cairn Hill is not only a place of natural beauty but also has historical significance. The hill derived its name from the cairn, a man-made pile of stones, that was used as a landmark for travelers in the past.
- Avalanche Lake: Situated about 28 kilometers from Ooty, Avalanche Lake is a peaceful and pristine lake surrounded by dense forests. It offers opportunities for trout fishing, camping, and trekking.
- Wenlock Downs: One of the main attractions of Wenlock Downs is its 9th Mile Shooting Point, which offers a stunning view of the valley below. The viewpoint provides an excellent vantage point to capture the beauty of the surrounding landscape on camera. It’s a popular spot for photography enthusiasts and nature lovers who want to soak in the scenic beauty of the region.The refreshing breeze and tranquil environment make it a perfect place to relax and rejuvenate. The expansive grasslands also offer opportunities for outdoor activities like frisbee, kite flying, or simply enjoying a leisurely stroll. Wenlock Downs is also known for its horse riding activities. Tourists can rent horses and take a ride across the meadows, enjoying the scenic beauty of the surroundings while experiencing the thrill of horseback riding.
- Mukurthi National Park: Mukurthi National Park is known for its rich biodiversity and unique ecosystem. It is home to several endemic and endangered species of flora and fauna. The park is characterized by montane grasslands, sholas (tropical montane forests), and rugged terrain, providing habitats for a wide range of wildlife. The park offers a unique opportunity to experience the untouched natural beauty of the Western Ghats and witness the diverse wildlife that inhabits the region.
- Fernhill Palace: Fernhill Palace offers a unique opportunity to experience the grandeur of a bygone era while enjoying modern comforts. It’s an excellent choice for those seeking a luxurious and heritage stay in Ooty.
- Dolphin’s Nose: Dolphin’s Nose is a popular destination for nature lovers, photographers, and adventure seekers who want to witness the mesmerizing beauty of the Nilgiri Hills and enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings.
- Gymkhana Golf Club: The Gymkhana Golf Club is a prestigious golf club located in Ooty. Visiting the Gymkhana Golf Club allows golf enthusiasts to enjoy the sport amidst the beautiful natural surroundings of Ooty. Whether you’re a seasoned golfer or a beginner looking to try your hand at golf, the club provides a serene and enjoyable golfing experience.
- Kotagiri and Coonoor: Kotagiri is the highest hill station in the Nilgiri Hills. Coonoor is the second-largest hill station in the Nilgiri Hills. Each place has its own unique attractions and charm, making them worth exploring when visiting the Nilgiri Hills region in Tamil Nadu.
- Kamaraj sagar Dam: Kamaraj Sagar Dam is a peaceful and scenic spot where visitors can enjoy boating, indulge in a picnic, or simply relax and take in the natural beauty of the surroundings. It offers a refreshing break from the bustling city life and provides an opportunity to connect with nature in a tranquil setting.
- Needle Rock view point: Needle Rock View point situated near Gudalur town. It offers breathtaking views of the surrounding valleys, tea estates, and the rolling Nilgiri hills. It is known for its unique rock formation resembling a needle.
- Ooty Stone house: The Stone House in Ooty holds historical significance as it is believed to be the first bungalow constructed in the region. Even though it primarily serves as a college, its distinctive architecture and historical importance make it an interesting landmark to explore for those interested in the colonial history of the region.
- Upper Bhavani Lake: Upper Bhavani Lake is a scenic and pristine reservoir located in the Nilgiri Hills near Ooty. It is a haven for nature lovers, photographers, and those seeking solitude amidst unspoiled natural surroundings.
- Toda Huts Ooty: The Toda tribe is an indigenous community in the Nilgiri region, known for their unique huts called “munds.” These distinctive huts with conical thatched roofs can be visited to learn about the traditional Toda way of life.
Some other tourist places to visit in Ooty include
- St. Stephen’s Church
- Wax World Museum
- Tribal Research Cente
- Kalhatti Falls
- Avalanche Biosphere Reserve
- Deer Park
- Catherine Waterfalls
Ooty and its surrounding areas offer a range of activities and attractions for visitors to explore. If you are interested in nature, history, culture, or adventure, you will find plenty to see and do in this charming hill station.